Winter dressmaking projects can often be long and complicated, so here’s the antidote – the Parkwood Cowl.
Takes just 1m of fabric and can be made all in one fabric, reversible or with contrast panels.
There’s just one pattern piece with all the variations marked on and it sews up super quick with only 4 pieces, making it great for beginners and an ideal project for your homemade Christmas gift sewing!
What’s better, there is a version of the pattern to suit everyone:
- a traditional printed paper pattern for £15
- an instant PDF download pattern for those who just have to get started immediately for £9
- and a MIY Collection Kit containing a printed Parkwood pattern, specially selected beautiful quality bouclé wool mix fabric in a choice of burgundy, grey or teal and matching colour thread. Even better, the kit will be delivered to your door beautifully packaged in a sturdy gift box, all for just £55. Perfect if you want to get sewing straight away without worrying about fabric shopping, or the ideal gift for a beginner stitcher.
What are you waiting for? There’s only 33 day’s left…….
Posted in MIY Collection news, Outerwear, Patterns for jersey fabrics, Patterns for woven fabrics
Tagged beginners sewing patterns, cosy cowl, cowl, easy sewing patterns, miy collection, miyparkwood, parkwood cowl, pdf patterns, sewing kits, sewing patterns, snood, wendy ward
I was pretty happy to find this when I opened my copy of Sew magazine this month (June issue), right there in your face in the middle of the news page at the front of the magazine (p6)!
I rather like that little headline and may have to steal it to use for myself.
If you’d like to MIY ASAP, you can find the easy pull-on shift dress pattern here.
You can make it with and without the roll collar, as a boxy top or mix and match your fabrics with different fabrics for the bodice and skirt, like this one that I’ve nearly finished:
Posted in Dresses, Made using MIY Collection patterns, MIY Collection news, Patterns for jersey fabrics, Patterns for woven fabrics
Tagged easy sewing patterns, indie sewing patterns, miy collection, modern sewing patterns, sewing patterns for beginners, simple sewing patterns, wendy ward
It’s now available again as a PDF downloadable sewing pattern to print at home, just click here.
No need to hang around for the post, just order, pay, print and go! You’ll also get a comprehensive set of instructions for how to print the pattern on your home printer along with the multi-size pattern and full instruction book.
If you’re in the EU it’s available via the MIY Collection Etsy shop.
Read more about the pattern and how versatile it is here.
Happy holiday stitching!
Posted in Dresses, MIY Collection news, Patterns for jersey fabrics, Patterns for woven fabrics
Tagged easy sewing patterns, learn to sew brighton, miy collection, pull-on shift dress, sewing patterns for beginners, shift dress pattern, simple sewing patterns, wendy ward
My popular MIY Collection pull-on shift dress pattern which sold out at the Knitting & Stitching show is back in stock. Get yours online now with free P&P in the UK.
I think there are lots of reasons why this pattern is so popular:
- it’s easy – really, no fastenings, no fiddly bits
- the pattern is very versatile – these features are optional: the cowl collar, the side seam pockets, the centre front and centre back pleats
- it’s a great pattern for beginners (I’ve had lots of sewing newbies successfully make this dress in a day), but has lots of versatility for those with a bit of experience
- it suits a wide range of shapes and sizes
- it’s comfy to wear – I know, I wear mine A LOT!
- you can make it in a wide variety of fabrics: wovens such as lightweight denim, linen, lightweight tweed, chambray, needlecord and knits such as ponte roma, sweatshirt and even single jersey
- it will see you through all the seasons – I wear my denim one with leggings and a long sleeved top in winter and on it’s own with birkenstocks in summer
- you can easily combine fabrics, using a different one for the bodice and the skirt.
And if you’re not yet convinced I did a quick pattern hack from it this weekend to make this top which once I’ve hemmed, I think I will be living in…..
All I did was to use the bodice pattern and lengthen it by 20cm! I’ve used a fabulous lurex ponte roma from Minerva Crafts which is a pleasure to sew as it just does as it’s told. This will be my nod towards the festive season – black with a bit of subtle sparkle.
Get your pattern now and let me know what you do with it, I love seeing how you all interpret my patterns!
Posted in Dresses, Made using MIY Collection patterns, MIY Collection news, Patterns for jersey fabrics, Patterns for woven fabrics, Tops
Tagged easy sewing patterns, learn to sew brighton, minerva crafts, miy collection, modern sewing patterns, pull-on shift dress, sewing patterns for beginners, shift dress pattern, wendy ward
Later this morning I will be heading off to London town to spend 5 days at the Knitting & Stitching show at Alexandra Palace. If you’ve never been it really is an amazing event, my two pieces of essential advice if you’re going…….
- wear: comfy shoes and layers
- take: food!
There are three halls full of stalls selling everything you could ever need and more for sewing knitting and creating in general, exhibitions, workshops and fashion shows.
I’m playing with the big boys this year in the Great Hall with MIY Collection on stand O19. I’ll have my sewing patterns, tools, accessories and an advance copy of my book. Here are some new things I’m launching at the show……
A new sewing pattern for the show: MIY Cosy Cowl – quick, easy and perfect for this time of year when you’re not quite ready for your winter coat! Available to buy online when I’m back from the show.
Teeny tiny scissor earrings! A treat for you or the perfect gift for your stitchy friend. Also available to buy online when I’m back from the show.
Look forward to seeing you there!
Posted in Events, MIY Collection news, New sewing patterns, Outerwear, Patterns for jersey fabrics, Patterns for woven fabrics
Tagged cowl sewing pattern, easy sewing patterns, indie sewing patterns, knitting and stitching show, miy collection, modern sewing patterns, scissor earrings, sewing patterns for jersey, twisted thread, wendy ward